You would require an immigrant visa if you are a foreign national who wishes to immigrate to the United States. During the immigration process, strict immigration rules and protocols must be met, and not all who tries can be given a visa to enter the United States.
Who is qualified to apply for a visa to enter the United States?
In general, you must be supported by a US resident family member or a US employer to be qualified for a US immigrant visa. A small number of permanent resident visas are issued per year under the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program.
Any of the following may be considered a family-based immigrant:
- a spouse
- Sisters and brothers
- a child below the age of 21 who is not married
- Parent of a resident of the United States above the age of 21
- US residents’ adult children (and their wives and children)
- Legal permanent residents’ spouses, minor ones, and single adult children
Employment-based visas are restricted to 140,000 a year and are provided to notable scientists, musicians, students, and athletes, as well as experienced professionals and business investors. Special immigrant permits are often available for individuals who need safety in the United States or who have a rare and essential benefit to the US government.
The procedure for obtaining a visa for immigration
If you want to use your job as the basis for your immigrant visa application, your US boss must take the following steps:
- Submit a Citizenship and Immigration Service (CIS) approved immigrant visa petition.
- If the company has a labour license, they must first obtain one before filing Form I-140 (Petition for Prospective Immigrant Employee).
- The CIS will submit the I-140 to the National Visa Center, which will notify you after it is accepted.
- The National Visa Center can contact your business and submit the case to the Immigrant Visa Unit after it is finished.
If you apply for an immigrant visa based on a family bond, your partner in the United States must fill out Form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative). If the CIS has approved the petition, it will be sent to the National Visa Center, which will inform you.
Interview for a visa to enter the country
The visa interview is the last phase of obtaining an immigration visa. You cannot file a visa claim until you have submitted and been investigated. Only you will be questioned; no one from your workplace or relatives in the United States is required to appear.
You must also perform a medical examination, which you must arrange and pay for. If your visa gets accepted and issued, you must reach the United States within six months of receiving it.